Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Enchantress of Numbers

Ada Lovelace was the world's first computer programmer. The daughter of Lord Byron, her mother schooled her in mathematics in an effort to stamp out any tendency she might have towards "the poetic". Whether it was in rebellion against her mother, or a trait inherited from the father she never knew, Ada saw the poetry in mathematics.

It is hardly a surprise that I find her incredibly inspirational. First of all, she was a woman in science in the 1800s. And she was very, very good. She saw the potential in Charles Babbage's analytical engine when no one, including Babbage himself, could abstract its use beyond calculation. And I take joy from the fact that in a world where an unfortunate number of people are still surprised that women can program, the first program ever coded was written by a woman. And, that program was sufficiently complicated that simpler examples are often used when explaining her accomplishments.

But it was an idea of Ada's, that math could be beautiful, that makes me admire her most.

"Charles Babbage's analytical engine weaves algebraic patterns, just as the Jacquard loom weaves flowers and leaves."

Yes. Yes. Yes. This is someone who understands abstraction. This is someone I can learn from.

And she is right, in so many ways. Just look at the punch cards on a loom and you'll understand that every pattern is just a simple program. (Actually, a funny thing happened. When I visited the Ardalanish weavers I got really excited about seeing the punch cards and how the loom was computing patterns in the weft -- I'm sure you can all imagine me jumping up and down gleefully -- and a few weeks later I was talking to a couple in Stormoway who had visited Ardalanish not long after me. Apparently my description had become a part of the tour!)

Many people have been confused when I say that I'm traveling and studying traditional textile work (the less formal version is 'knitting for a year'), especially when I say that I studied computer science. "That's quite a departure" they say with a smile. And I hesitate when answering. The easy answer is yes, it is. I haven't touched a computer in weeks, or written code in months. Instead, I've been talking to artists and knitting and learning how to set up a loom for weaving tweed. But the real answer is no, not really. Because for me, programming is solving a problem, within the constraints of a language, in as beautiful a way as possible.

And when I was designing a pattern the other day it was:
Make something warm
Using the ball of yarn and needles I had in my backpack
And have it be beautiful

Not so different is it?

Maybe the love of patterns and problem solving was why I liked programming when I finally tried it. I certainly can't claim that I liked computers -- little known fact about me, but I actually dropped the first computer science class I took (though I did take typing through all of elementary school). And instead, through a variety of odd circumstances, ended up spending most of that time knitting. I wouldn't call it time wasted.

Back to Lady Lovelace though! I have already professed my admiration for her; I find her fascinating. And she fits into my conundrum about several brilliant minds I admire: she was unhappy.

I wish I could see the patterns of abstraction that were woven in her mind. Cobwebs of ideas that covered her world, connecting things I cannot see. Yet it's hard to call her a role model. Because I would give a lot not to live a life like hers. For one, I'm quite pleased to have grown up in a happy family (and am thoroughly excited that they just bought tickets to visit me for thanksgiving!). For another, I'd like to live past 36. And avoid gambling and drug abuse.

I think this inability to separate mind and person, life and accomplishments, is why I enjoy reading biographies. It isn't that you always understand the person at the end. Or necessarily approve of their choices. But the lack of perfection is refreshing. You can't change the ending to be happier. But you can commend the achievements and learn from the story and the person.

And people are complicated! I keep learning new things about the Lady Lovelace. Yesterday I saw a play at the Edinburgh Fringe about her life and legacy. It was beautiful. One of my favorite scenes was when Ada and her father waltzed around the stage without touching each other - a lovely piece of choreography. And there was a scene about Ada's dreams of flying and plans for building wings, a story I had never heard before. During the play, she was acted by 4 different girls. Whoever was Ada wore a red ribbon on her wrist. It created the effect of discovering a person. Constantly seeing new pieces, and changing one's perception of a character. Acknowledging that we don't really know her.

And watching an artistic interpretation of the importance of this person and her insights into the potential for computer programs might be the best legacy that could be given to the Enchantress of Numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment